A lot of us especially those with skin issues might at some point come across the term derma rolling. It looks scary, right? That dermaroller you see on Amazon or beauty stores with small thin needles that you’re supposed to poke into your delicate face.
Does dermaroller really help in removing acne scars? Is it really safe and effective?
Like you, I got interested too. So, I tried it myself. You will never believe what I found out.
Dermarolling or microneedling? What is it?
I know these terms can be confusing sometimes. However, stop being confused because they all mean the same. It is sometimes called microneedling. It’s a procedure that uses a tool that got small thin needles. It induces production of collagen. You can use it on different body parts such as faces, arms, neck, legs, abdomen, etc.Collagen is one important protein that helps your skin heal and repair itself. Click To Tweet
As you poke yourself using the tool, it will create micro injuries to that body part. Our body will react to that by increasing and releasing collagen thereby promoting rejuvenation which is beneficial to even out your acne scars, helps with wrinkles and even stretch marks. It can also multiply the efficacy of topical products because it can penetrate more to the skin.
Benefits of Microneedling
1. Improved Acne Scars
2. Removes Eyebags
3. Helps in hair production
5. Collagen production that will prevent and erase wrinkles
There are a lot of variations, kinds, and sizes that can be used depending on your needs.
What and Where can I Get a Dermaroller?
Before heading to Amazon to buy one, you need to think about this one important factor in order to be successful:
Dermarollers comes in different sizes. Each size means the depth of how it can penetrate the skin. Different sizes for different skin concern and body parts.
I have purchased both 0.25mm and 1.0mm.
See below the screenshot of the box of one of the derma roller I bought. It shows the differences and the skin issue each size targets.
- 0.25mm – this is the good size for topical absorption. There is no bleeding as well. I felt no pain at all using this. However, I only used this size every other day.
- 0.5mm – This is good for product absorption as well. You may feel a bit pain and there may be bleeding. It can stimulate collagen. You can use this once or twice per week.
- 0.75mm – 1.0mm – Ideal size for acne scars and wrinkles. It can help on stretchmarks as well. You will see redness too that could last few days. It is advisable not to put on makeup and/or sunscreen within 24hrs of using it. Wait at least 5-8 weeks in between sessions.
There are longer sizes available but I cannot recommend using them at home. You should seek a certified medical professional to administer them for you.
How to Use
Contrary to common belief that you can do it every day, it is not advisable to do that. It can irritate your skin. Our skin needs time to heal and if you will puncture it every day, you won’t be able to harness the great benefits of derma rolling.
- Start by ensuring that the derma roller is clean. Soak it in an alcohol for 20-30 minutes. Make sure that it is already dry before using it.
- While waiting for the derma roller to dry, clean your face by washing it. Check out how to choose the correct cleanser for an acne-free skin. Pat it dry.
- Start rolling gently on your face. Do not press hard. Roll in all direction (horizontal, vertical & diagonal). You may roll 3-5 times on the same area to ensure that you never miss a spot. Remember to lift the roller when changing direction so that it won’t cause too much injury to your face. Do not roll on moles, warts, active acne or inflamed skin. It is also normal to hear popping sound while rolling.
- Once done, make sure to sterilize the Derma roller again by soaking it back onto the alcohol. Wait for it to dry before storing away.
- For optimum result, you may put on topical or serums.
Best Products to Use for Derma rolling
Since you have just finished opening up your skin, anything that you will put on it within an hour or so will be fully absorbed in higher concentration. Some people put these products even before rolling. You should also choose products that don’t contain harmful ingredients or irritants such as parabens, fragrance, BHA, hydroquinone, salicylic, chemical peels, etc.
Choose products that are natural and high in vitamins, prevent infections and will help in healing.
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Facial Masks
Derma Rolling After Care
Using 0.5mm and below doesn’t really need any special care.
However, for derma rollers longer than 0.5mm, your skin will definitely need extra care. You should avoid sun exposure or any activities that will interfere with the healing of your skin.
It is generally safe as long as using the correct size and ensures that the derma roller is clean before and after using it.
1. Never share derma rollers with others.
2. Not all derma rollers are the same so buy from reputable brands… or at least check if the product you’re buying is compliant and certified.
3. Inspect the derma roller before using. Do not use it if you see any crack, bent or missing pin.
4. Replace the derma roller regularly.
5. Use the correct size.
6. Never roll on active acne, warts or any inflamed skin.
7. Never use products with toxic ingredients before and after derma rolling to avoid irritation and infection.
8. Do not go to the beach or expose yourself to too much sun few days after derma rolling.
9. Do not overdo it. Let your skin heal.
10. Avoid facial scrub after derma rolling.
Does it Work?
Dermarolling is one procedure that I highly recommend. I did it myself in the comfort of my house and it really WORKS! My acne scars are now less noticeable which I think I would never ever achieve just by using creams or other skincare products.
I have tried it and had success on it. You don’t have to be afraid using it as long as you follow all the important things I mentioned.
When Can I see the Results?
It depends on your current skin condition. Some people, see results after 4 sessions. Others see after few months. In my case, I saw significant result after 2 months of following my Dermarolling Schedule.
Be patient. Be consistent.
Watch this amazing video from BuzzFeed Video!
Credits: BuzzFeed Video via Boldly
Have you tried derma rolling? How was it? Let me know your success in the comments below.